Fourmile Lake for Hiking, Camping, Fishing, Canoeing with a view in Southern Oregon
The closest boat launchable lake to the base of Mt. McLoughin, gorgeous Fourmile Lake is situated in the Sky Lakes Wilderness Area off of Highway 140. It is in Klamath County, Oregon, and a Southern Oregon TREASURE! It was developed in the 40’s as part of the Medford Irrigation District and back when they just filled up lakes without removing the trees. Here are just a few things you can expect to find if you visit:
- Not accessible until mid to late spring unless you can hike miles in the snow.
- Car accessible when the snow melts off.
- Nicely improved USFS campsites, potable water and decent out houses.
- A cool snow shelter with fire pit (locked in summer) right by the lake.
- Primitive boat launch and trolling speed limit.
- $5 vehicle fee, more for camping.
- A culmination of trails including one that circles the lake if the water is low enough.
- Some really badass views of Mt. McLaughlin and lots of wildlife.
- This is an irrigation water store, so it is very low in dry summers.
- Mosquitoes. You will find lots at times. Bring deet – the 40-99% good stuff.
- Free firewood and old driftwood logs everywhere and often floating – careful boats (they just filled a valley with water, lumber and all then called it good. It is absolutely legal and encouraged that you clean up some wood if you need it.
- Great fishing from the bank and boats for Rainbow & Red Band Trout, Lake Trout (Mackinaw) and Cokanee. Each was planted at one time or another and continues to be planted with native Eastern Oregon Redband Trout. Power Bait, dry and wet flies and lures that work in similar mountain lakes work here.
Tread lightly on nature and post your pics and reviews to our Oregon Outdoors Group on Facebook and be sure to search for Fourmile or 4 Mile or Four Mile Lake to find others! Some of these photos and videos were featured there.
OWNER • ADMINISTRATOR • EDITORRyan Mallory enjoys the mountain man life and loves the Great Oregon Outdoors and Pacific NW. Join him for a look at hikes, fishing trips, hunting, photography and other outdoor sports. He owns and operates a consulting Company called Oregon Marketing Pros LLC, Scanner Group LLC (50,000+ on Facebook Groups in the area), the Southern Oregon Gun & Ammo Exchange, the brother to this project at Southern Oregon Outdoors on Facebook, and this site (Great Oregon Outdoors). Connect with Ryan here. “Actio Enim Amore Patriae”